Welcome to the Be That 1% Podcast Experience!
We have Britany Maxwell, entrepreneur and founder of The Light & The Love Photography on the podcast. In 3 short years she’s build up her side hustle to become her full time job 100% supporting her financially. She’s really started to tap into her own voice through her expression of photography and building her brand around her authentic self. She primarily focuses on weddings and engagements, and clients book her from all over the US to photograph their weddings.
“You can’t be everything all at once to everyone. You have to find your style and those clients that resonate with you.” – Britany Maxwell
We talk about the journey of discovering your passion, how to take that leap of faith for what you really want, and the truths about supporting your vision. We also discuss the power of investing in yourself and your business, and that if you want to thrive and go far in your business you need to get serious about investing in yourself to grow to new heights and learn new things.
We dive into the tricky parts of being an early entrepreneur on determining your own worth, how we undervalue our capabilities in the beginning, and how your price and what you say yes to, ultimate determines the quality of your clients.
- Have plans and goals, but don’t be afraid to completely change them and start over.
- Make your life one you love, not just tolerate.
- You have the power to create your perfect dream.
- If you are unhappy in your circumstances, change them!
- Life is too short to follow a path void of passion.
- Live life for you, not for anyone else’s expectations.
- “You have to sit back and you have to make mistakes, because you learn from them.”
- “I’m going to follow my heart . . . and get to where I want to be.”
- “What you want to happen, you have to make it happen for yourself.”
- “When you invest your time and you’re passionate about what you are doing, you’ll get rewarded.”
- F Scott Fitzgerald: For what it’s worth … it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people who have a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.”
- “If you don’t feel like [the path you’re on] is meant for you, there is a reason.”
- “Why live a life you don’t love?”
- “Your business represents you and you represent your business.”
- Kim McMillan: “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits, anything that kept me small. My judgment called it disloyal, now I see it as self-loving.” (From the book “When I Loved Myself Enough”)
Time Stamped Show Notes
(3:18) Start of Episode
(4:25) How Britany’s photography journey began
(8:14) Britany realizes her true passion and desire for creativity
(10:32) Buying her first “nice” camera and starting to practice
(13:15) Determining the worth of her photography
(14:30) Learning to say no as you realize your value
(16:14) How do you know you can start turning clients away?
(17:52) Finding your own voice and style
(20:23) Breaking out in the industry
(22:09) Importance of styled shoots and workshops in order to network and connect
(23:46) Workshops with personal hero India Earl
(26:32) The difficulties of starting from nothing and investing in yourself
(28:28) What Britany would say to her younger self
(29:50) Finding the courage to pursue what truly makes her happy
(31:23) Fighting the pressure of society’s expectations
(33:16) Britany’s experience at the Las Vegas Shooting — Life is too short
(36:05) Everything happens for a reason and seeing blessings in trials
(39:06) Realizing her “why” for being a wedding photographer
(40:52) Description of owning your own business, marketing, and balancing life
(46:30) Realizing when you can’t do everything and help is necessary
(50:00) What does be that 1% mean to you?
(51:39) Why is it difficult to step into being your own 1%?
(52:57) What would the future Britany be like 10 years from now?
CONNECT WITH BRITANY
For Bookings Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook: The Light & The Love
This episode is brought to you by BE THAT 1% Monthly Membership